Lymphedema Treatment in Bowie, MD
WHAT IS LYMPHEDEMA?
Lymphedema is an abnormal collection of high protein fluid just beneath the skin. Edema (swelling) occurs most commonly in the legs or arms but can be present in the trunk, breast, head, neck or genitals. Lymphedema can be a primary (congenital lymphatic vessels missing) or secondary condition due to removal of lymph nodes or trauma to the lymphatic system.
Lymphatic fluid is normally transported out of a region by the lymph vessels. A build up of fluid can attract more fluid, increasing edema. This also creates a local inflammatory response, which results in scar tissue or fibrosis. Increased fluid and edema make wound healing more difficult and increases the risk of infection.
WHAT TREATMENT IS AVAILABLE FOR LYMPHEDEMA?
Treatment for lymphedema is a multi-faceted approach and may include the following
- Manual Lymph Drainage– a very specific massage technique used to facilitate drainage from the affected area. This technique should be performed by a therapist who is specifically trained in these techniques, such as our own Maureen McBeth MPT, CLT or Chanel Vanderhorst, DPT, CLT.
- Light exercises to increase muscle contraction and assist fluid drainage. These should be prescribed by your physical therapist or physician to specifically address your problem
- Wrapping techniques- may be performed by your therapist after Manual drainage to improve effectiveness of treatment.
- Compression garments- Properly fitting compression garments can be prescribed to aid facilitating the flow of fluid out of the extremity. Be sure your lymphedema therapist checks your fit to avoid complications from ill-fitting garments.
- Patient education about lymphedema and how to decrease symptoms and improve outcomes.
CALL TODAY TO START YOUR LYMPHEDEMA TREATMENT
I absolutely recommend this therapy team. I came in mentally not ready for therapy after back surgery but my therapist Jessica kept my spirits up, encouraged and pushed me to get better. Appreciate the care and the attention provided to me in and out of the office from the Forever Fit team. I could not have asked for a better group of people to get me back physically and mentally. Additionally, I was pleased to know that part of my therapy team came from my alma mater U of Md Eastern Shore. You guys have a new friend. FOREVER GRATEFUL!!!
The therapists Jessica is the best she really takes her time with you and helps your therapy sessions feel great.
Forever Fit Physical Therapy & Wellness was a great experience. The staff was very knowledgable and took plenty of time to make sure I understood everything that I would be going through. Renee Eluma was outstanding! I always knew I was in capable hands. I received great care and 6 weeks after my PT, I still feel great!!! If you want an excellent outcome in physical therapy - Forever Fit is the place to go.
Great PT in Bowie
I went into the office with a neck strain that was causing severe headaches at times. I had constant low grade pain that would spike on occasion. I had seen several doctors about it, one finally suggested physical therapy and suggested Forever Fit in Bowie. From the first day, all staff were friendly and had a great grasp on PT and how the body worked. Due to the length of the injury, they suggested an aggressive schedule. Each session had a definite path forward and direction was clear. Additional options were considered but once the therapists heard that things were progressing towards being pain free, they suggested and I agreed that we were on the right course. No additional or unnecessary therapies were pushed. After 6 weeks, I was re-evaluated and when we determined that I was mostly pain free, they suggested that I just continue PT at home and come in only if things began to get worse. I felt my treatment was exactly the right course and I was not kept longer than necessary but not kicked out the door without ensuring that I was going to be ok. I cannot express enough how great the PTs and support staff were. I appreciate their work and expertise
Request an Appointment
Message Sent. Thank you for contacting us. We will be in touch with you shortly.
|Mon - Fri:||7:00am - 8:00pm|
|Sat:||8:00am - 12:00pm|